Search this site:

Agent in UK or USA?

by Philip


I'm writing my first novel. It features an American boy who has to leave and go live with his mother and step-father in England.

Should I ptch this to an agent in Uk or USA? I've lived in both countries.


If you live in the UK, you should pitch it to an agent in the UK, as you will generally have more success in your home country than abroad. Your UK agent will then try to sell foreign rights to the USA and other countries, usually through a subagent in each country.

A larger concern, however, is when to pitch to the agent, and you should not do that until you are certain that the book is ready for publication. I strongly recommend that you seek professional advice on that, particularly if it is your first novel.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask an Author.

Interactive Writing Prompts

My Books

Short Story Submissions

Read New Stories

Ask Your Questions

Character Name Generator

Creative Writing Activities

Literary Agents

Online Courses


Writing a Novel

Writing Contests

Writing Degrees

Writing Help Articles

Writing Library

Writing Process

Writing Prompts

Writing Quotations

Writing Resources

Writing Mentor